CEIPES, International Centre for the Promotion of Education and Development, is partner of the project “SPORTS IDENTITY – Enhancing citizenship education through sport” (Project Number: 2018-2-FR02-KA205-014799) co-funded by the Erasmus Plus Program – KA2: Cooperation for innovation and the exchange of good practices, in field of Youth. The timespan of the project is 01-12-2018 – 30-11-2020 and at the end of November the project is coming to an end.
The objectives of the project:
• To increase the capacities of those involved in sport and to develop citizenship education through sporting values and belonging to the sports community
• To improve the capacities of actors to detect and preventing the risks of violent radicalization among young people with identity-building difficulties and at odds with institutions
• To promote the use of sport as a lever for greater participation of all young people in life democratic and civic, encourage diversity, intercultural and inter-religious dialogue, promote the common European values of freedom, tolerance and respect for human rights
• To develop the capacities of sports educators and facilitators to promote and transmit positive sports values to young people, in particular towards young people in fragile
Through the activities implemented during the project eligibility period these results have been achieved:
• A better understanding of the processes leading certain young people to radicalize in sports: vulnerabilities and points of vigilance detected depending on the context
• Better knowledge of good citizenship education practices in sport and through sport
• A rise in competence of youth workers and sports educators in the prevention of radicalization and citizenship education
• Development and experimentation in several European territories with innovative tools: Benchmark of Good Practices for the development of active citizenship by and in European Sport; Methodological Guide for the co-construction of a “sports citizenship” in sports and by sport; Toolbox and online training for youth workers and sports educators on prevention of radicalization leading to violent extremism in sports.
CEIPES takes the opportunity to present the results of the SPORTS IDENTITY project during the conference “Radicaliz-ACTION: sport as a tool for the education of young people to citizenship”, scheduled for Wednesday 25/11/2020 at 15:00 on the platform Microsoft Teams.
Speakers at the seminar:
• Bernard Bronchart – CREPS, Center of Competence and Sports Performance Resources of France: initial greetings
• Prof. Lorenzo Ferrante – University of Palermo: The phenomenon of radicalization in young immigrants. Violent extremism in the public space
• Prof. Antonino Bianco – University of Palermo: The sporting practice of youth groups as a tool for social promotion
• Renato Marino – CSI – The phenomenon of inclusion within sports contexts
• Sara Vivirito – CEIPES: the final results of the SPORTS IDENTITY project
At these link it will be possible to download the final documents produced during the SPORTS IDENTITY Project
IO1: BENCHMARK OF BEST PRACTICES IN SPORTS IN TERMS OF THE PREVENTION OF RADICALISATION
IO2: METHODOLOGICAL GUIDE TO SUPPORT THE CONSTRUCTION OF CITIZENSHIP IN SPORT