A new European project to promote STEM in deaf education!
On 31st December 2022 started the new KA2 Erasmus+ project “STEMSiL: STEM methodologies in Sign Languages“ (2022-1-DE-03-KA2020-SCH-000087039), as well as a new partnership, with the main objective to create a new methodology to teach STEM to deaf students of primary and secondary school levels.
Because of that, the consortium is composed of associations and schools with a strong expertise in the field of education and deafness, which are:
- Hu-berlin (Germany),
- CEIPES (Italy)
- The Center of Greek SL (Greece),
- STIMMULI FOR SOCIAL CHANGE (Greece),
- Colegio Gaudem (Spain),
- APES31 (France),
- Agrupamento de Escolas Quinta de Marrocos (Portugal),
For the first time together, they met in Lisbon on 19 and 20 January 2023, hosted by the Agrupamento de Escolas Quinta de Marrocos. A new start right for the new year.
The reason behind the project is the European lack of accessible language in the context of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) for deaf students. This constitutes a barrier to the development of the skills promoted by these disciplines, among which the soft skills and not just the scientific ones.
Through what will the consortium work to meet this need and the project’s objectives?
- A research based on focus groups and interviews to investigate the actual situation and the methodology used in STEM for deaf education
- The development of an online platform and a visual lexicon in all Sign Languages countries part of the project
- The creation of STEM labs based on the collaboration between deaf students and teachers/SL interpreters. For these co-labs, STEM kits will be provided through the project.
Teachers and SL interpreters from all the partners countries will also participate to a training in Madrid, hosted by Colegio Gaudem in 2024, in which they will have the chance to test the methodology created.
During the meeting in Lisbon, partners discussed about all these various aspects of the project and its implementation. They also worked on the dissemination and quality plan, realized respectively by CEIPES and STIMMULI FOR SOCIAL CHANGE, to ensure the project results’ quality and make sure that they will properly reach the persons who can benefit.
The project social media channels and web site will be created very soon.